Re: How to restore original system fonts in F12? [SOLVED]

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Kirk Lowery <empirical.humanist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Okay. I screwed up. It happens, okay?

I was playing around with Fontmatrix. I was trying to figure out how to deactivate a *single* font. All of a sudden, wush! All the desktop fonts changed to something ugly. I tried to reactivate every font using Fontmatrix, rebooted, but no change.

How do I get back to using the default F12 desktop font assignments?

Thanks!

Kirk

I figured out how to restore the original system fonts, and I thought I'd report it here, since this seems to be less well-known knowledge:

1. The key is in understanding how fontconfig (http://docs.fedoraproject.org/deployment-guide/f12/en-US/html/s1-x-fonts.html) works and how Fontmatrix interacts with it.

I compared my home directory with a colleagues whose F12 system was working right. My directory had three relevant files/directories: .fontconfig, .fonts and .fonts.config. My colleague had just one: .fontconfig. Now, .fonts is the directory for installing local fonts, which is okay, since I had installed some special fonts I use. This means the .fonts.config file was something added by Fontmatrix. Indeed, looking at the xml file there was a long list of system fonts tagged as <rejected>!? To clear the problem:

2. yum erase fontmatrix

3. rm -rf ~/.Fontmatrix

4. rm ~/.fonts.config

5. logged out as my user; logged back in. This restarted X, which is the essential task.

I probably didn't have to remove Fontmatrix and the .Fontmatrix directory. But I wanted to start with a clean set up. Probably all I needed to do was remove .fonts.config and restart X.

Hope this helps someone else recover when fonts go crazy. :-)

Kirk