Re: Nehalem network performance

On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 19:07 -0500, Kelvin Ku wrote:
> We recently purchased our first Nehalem-based system with a single Xeon E5530
> CPU. We were unable to boot FC6 on it and are trying to upgrade our network to
> F11/F12 anyway, so we installed F11 on it.
>
> Our existing hardware includes Xeon 5100- and 5400-series CPUs running mainly
> FC6 (2.6.22), except for a single Xeon 5150 system running F11. Our target
> application consumes multicast data during business hours and has been dropping
> packets more frequently on the new hardware/OS combination than on our older
> systems. I've tried using the on-board Intel 82574L dual-port NIC (e1000e
> driver) and a discrete Intel 82576 dual-port NIC (igb driver). Counters for the
> NIC, socket layer, and switch don't show any dropped packets.
>
> My question is this: has anyone experienced performance degradation running a
> UDP-consuming application after moving to a Nehalem-based system? We have yet
> to identify whether the culprit is the hardware, the OS, or the combination of
> the two. However, note that our app works fine on the 5150 system running F11
> that I mentioned above.
>
> Likewise, if you've migrated such an app to a Nehalem system and had to make
> adjustments to get it to work as before, I'd like to hear from you too.
>
> Thanks,
> Kelvin Ku

Please post the output of:
$ cat /proc/interrupts | grep eth
$ ethtool -S ethX

Which board are you using?
Have you enabled hyper-threading?
Have you disabled IO vt-d?
In which slot did you installed the igb card?
Have you tried enabling pci=msi in your kernel's command line?

Per your question, at least when dealing with packets from within the
kernel, a Nehalem box is fully capable of handling >20Gbps (depending on
the packet size) - so I doubt that this is a hardware issue.

- Gilboa