Re: Using surround sound outputs separately?

On 18 January 2010 10:42, Ian Malone <ibmalone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2010/1/18 Jatin K <ssh.fedora@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> On 01/18/2010 02:15 PM, Ian Malone wrote:
>>> I've had a couple of Googles at this, but it's hard to pick the right
>>> keywords and I've not hit anything.
>>>
>>> Has anyone got a surround sound card (5.1 or 7.1) to separately output
>>> stereo on two pairs of channels or able to suggest how?  What I've got
>>> is a 7.1 card with 4 stereo out jacks, which mostly has my monitor
>>> speakers plugged into the main output, and a separate stereo speaker
>>> set with amplifier (which is usually turned off).

>> as per my understanding you want stereo out put from 7.1 sound card and
>> ...wanna swap it to either ampli-speaker and non-ampli speaker ...is it ??
>>

> Yes that's it.  The fade idea came to me while I was writing the email
> and spotted the 4.0 mode on the pulseaudio control, but, as I say, I'm
> wondering whether things that output surround wont work properly if I
> try that.  Using F11 at the moment and upgrading to 12 in the near
> future.

Further discoveries, the 4.0 solution doesn't seem to work in
Rhythmbox on F11 at a first pass (no sound out of what should be the
rear channels and fading completely to rear causes Rhythmbox to mute).
Ideally it would be nice if they could act as completely different
outputs (e.g. Skype on headphones with music to speakers), but I'd be
happy at the moment if I could just clone the stereo to front and
rear.

--
imalone