Re: Best way to troubleshoot intermittant lockups on F12

Hi there,

>> I have an F12 installation that experiences intermittent lockups,
>> usually at times of heavy usage.

I also have lockups, but just when running latest fedora's official
Firefox package (plus ADP and flashblock) and not under heavy load. I
am sure that is related to firefox because I have been using Chrome
for some days and no lockup at all.

>> The system just locks up solid, keyboard and mouse are non responsive.
>> Graphical screen remains
>> the same as it was when it locked up. Nothing is recorded in the
>> system logs, and I also have
>> logging to a remote machine and nothing is sent to there either. If
>> you attempt to telnet in, you get
>> the first telnet message with the kernel name but no login prompt and
>> it times out. Only a hard reset
>> and reboot gets it back.

Yep. I see nothing in system logs. I will give Breakpad
(http://kb.mozillazine.org/Breakpad) a try disabling extensions as
well to see if I can figure out what the hell is going on there. Any
progress will be posted to the list.

>> I've extensively tested the hard disks and memory. Processor temp is
>> well controlled by a big
>> fan.
>>
>> This is on an ASUS M4A77D motherboard (AMD 770) with an AMD 9850
>> processor. I've tried pci=nomsi
>> and it does not seem to change things.
>>
>> Twice, running yum caused the lockup, but any intensive progam can. It
>> reencodes video early
>> in the morning and has locked up three times then.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As said above, I experience this only when running Firefox therefore I
think this issue is closely related to this web browser. Anyway, I run
Fedora 12 on an Intel Inspiron 13z with up to date bios.

> I had the same problem some years ago with one computer. After I changed
> the power supply, everything was fine. Maybe this can help you...

I don't think this is due to power supply, but thanks for the tip.

Regards,

David