Re: Disk usage error

William John Murray wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-01-20 at 07:49 +0100, William John Murray wrote:
> Thanks to everyone,
>           I found it, using the idea of making a tar file - thanks
> Mogens. [I don't know why booting of a USB system didn't have the same
> affect. Maybe I was careless]
>    The tar file was 60Gb, so I actually made it and inspected it and
> found that the problem was:
>    * I have a big USB disk
>    * I Make a nightly backup to this disk of /home /etc for 2 machines.
>    * As it is USB. gnome mounts it under /media WHEN I LOG IN
>    * If the machine reboots without my log in the USB is not mounted
>    * The autobackup rsync looks for and fails to find /media/backup
>           - so it makes a new one WHICH IS in /

The way I protect against that happening is to give my backup prog a
destination that is actually a symlink to a subdirectory on the
external drive.  If the drive is not mounted the backup process
complains about the broken symlink and fails.  Use of a subdirectory
on the external drive is to protect against the case where the drive
is not mounted but the mount point directory in /media somehow did
not get deleted.

                 Do NOT delete it.