2 minute delay on booting F12

When I boot up into linux kernel 2.6.31.9-174.fc12.x86_64, there is a 2
minute wait before the boot process starts. I see the grub countdown,
then a flashing underline character in the same large typeface. This is
all that happens for 2 minutes - it looks as though the system has
crashed. Then the font changes to a smaller size and everything goes
normally.

All previous kernels have worked as expected and I generally use the
previous one to avoid the wait. I have tried removing rhgb and quiet
from the boot file and this does give lots of messages but there is
still the same delay before anything starts to happen. The boot log
doesn't give any clues. I have just installed the latest updates,
including plymouth, and hoped that would make a difference, but no. I
have reported this as a bug, so I am hoping it will go away with the
next kernel!

Has anybody else had similar problems?
--
N James Bridge <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>