Re: Synaptics touchpad switches apps in an undesirable way [Fixed]

Wendell Nichols wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2010-01-16 at 10:22 -0700, Craig White wrote:
>>

>>> I've seen people tape a flap of cardboard over the touch pad if they
>>> use a mouse.
>>>

>> That is so tempting...  The simple solutions are often the best.
>>
>> I've tried reconfiguring mine, but that causes its own problems:
>> Sometimes you need to use it, because you don't have the mouse, and you
>> really don't want to have to reconfigure things, yet again.  Disabling
>> the pad while typing adds annoying delays to your editing if you
>> actually do want to want to use the pad.  Disabling tapping doesn't
>> disable tapping 100% of the time on my system.  I wish it did, I have
>> real buttons on my laptop that don't accidentally trigger, but the pad
>> does.
>>
>> Can we design something worse than the mouse?
>> Yes, here's a slow-as-stuck-in-molasses twiddle stick in the middle of
>> the keyboard, that's worse than steering the inertia-riddled ship in the
>> Asteroids game.
>> Can we design something worse than the stick?
>> Yes, here's a touch pad.  Sensitive to the movement of a fly, five feet
>> away.
>> I dread to think what comes next...
>>

> I solved the mouse stud problem by removing the little rubber knob on
> top, and now it does not intrude on my life :)
> I don't want to disable the touchpad, I need it because when sitting in
> an armchair (where I work for many hours a day because I'm recovering
> from back surgery) I just don't have a convenient place for a regular
> mouse.  I basically like the touchpad; I can scroll vertically and
> horizontally and it automatically stops working when I type.  The ONLY
> big problem I have is that if I change applications by clicking on the
> task bar; it scrolls through several apps or desktops as I move from the
> taskbar to the desktop!  It does this because the taskbar accidentally
> pics up a command to scroll.    I just need to get the taskbar to stop
> interpreting the mouse scrolling input.  You would thinnk that would be
> a taskbar setting but there appear to be very few settings available for
> it.  Meybe there is an better taskbar widget... I'll look around.
> Its such a small thing... and its so annoying that you would expect the
> designer of the task switcher to have considered it... unless they've
> never used a laptop!
>
> Onwards and downwards...
> wcn

More on this:  I've noticed that if I change the setting of "desktop
appearance" (right click on desktop and choose settings) from "Desktop"
to "Folder view" it stops this scrolling behavior!  Now the annoying
behaviour  only happens if the cursor is squarely on the taskbar, which
happens but not nearly so often as on the desktop.  I think I can call
this issue fixed, but I also think kde should have a setting for this.
It would be even better if you could tall KDE that if the touchpad is
enabled to disable scrolling desktops... but I'm probably getting
carried away:)
Well back to work....
wcn