Re: loadavg - system performance

On 17/01/10 13:09, Aldo Foot wrote:
> So, you run 'top' and similar commands to display the load average on
> your system.
> And you find that is showing a 2 and you have only one CPU.
>
> What's your expertise dealing with high CPU demand? tweaks? kernel tricks?
> When do the numbers begin to be meaningful to you? under what circumstances?
You can sort top by processtime (>), then it might highlight a
particular bad performer.
Try also iotop, incase it higlights a particular app that is always
writing to disk.

If you have an ageing processor, performing in cpu audio mixing via
pulseaudio, can consume eg 30-40% cpu with 1 stream, more if you have
two audio streams at once. It's something to think about.

The second one is non-accelerated video drivers, if you are doing any 3d
work/effects etc.

For me, if you are browsing the web you migt use flask block/adblock to
disable loading from certain sites. Some sites are unbelievable -
multiple flash applets all appealing for attention...

Maybe you could start  runlevel 2 or 3 and see if there is much difference.