Stop Gnome from touching my DVD drive?

On my F11 system I want to disable the auto-mounting of DVDs
(so that some backup software can have complete access to my
DVD drive without interference from anything else).

In Nautilus file manager Preferences, on the Media tab, I checked
"Never prompt or start programs on media insertion" and unchecked
"Browse media when inserted".  If I put a formatted DVD in the
drive, nothing happens (good!).  But when I put a blank DVD in
my drive, I still get a "blank dvd" icon appearing on my desktop.
How do I stop Gnome from from looking at the DVD at all?