Re: [SPF:fail] Re: possible bad ipv6 mirror [partial solution]

Tim wrote:
> Tim:
>
>>> On an IPv4-only ISP, any IPv6-only resources will not be available to
>>> you, and doing your own IPv6-IPv4 substitution behind a IPv4-only
>>> network is pointless.
>>>

> Ed Greshko:
>
>> Can you expound on that last paragraph?  Or, at least the first half
>> of the last paragraph.  While my ISP is also IPv4 only, if I have
>> (which I do) an IPv4-->IPv6 tunnel I can access any IPv6 resource and
>> that same resource need not have a corresponding IPv4 address.
>>

> If you're going to access an IPv6-only resource, through an IPv4-only
> network (you, your ISP) you need some handler *outside* of your own
> network.  Seriously, there is no way for me to directly access anything
> that's IPv6.  While I might be able to resolve the name, there's no way
> to connect to the IP.  The only way for me to do it, whatever method you
> profer, is to find out an equivalent IPv4 address to connect to.

???

Assume a website is on a IPv6 backbone and has this address
2001:4860:c004::68.  Assume also that it doesn't have an IPv4 address.
Are you saying there is no way for you to connect to it?

My ISP is a pure IPv4 ISP.  My ADSL modem doesn't know a thing about
IPv6.  Yet....

[egreshko@f12 ~]$ ping6 2001:4860:c004::68
PING 2001:4860:c004::68(2001:4860:c004::68) 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 2001:4860:c004::68: icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=405 ms
64 bytes from 2001:4860:c004::68: icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=378 ms

I've got....

he-ipv6   Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
          inet6 addr: 2001:470:1f04:735::2/64 Scope:Global
          inet6 addr: fe80::cb46:1b7a/128 Scope:Link

So, while I am tunneling IPv6 to a IPv4 host that is connected to the
IPv6 backbone I am (I feel) effectively using only IPv6 to connect to
that host.
> If you can only do IPv4, what's the point of having anything to do with
> IPv6?  For resources available on both IPv4 and 6, if you're just going
> to translate to IPv4, why not do just do IPv4 in the first place?

That would be a true statement.  But not how I read that sentence.
> I don't write to this list in English, translate it to Spanish, then
> translate it back to English again.

But, a native Spanish speaker would probably think of their question in
Spanish, write it in English to the list, and then take the answer and
resolve their issue in their mind in Spanish.

--
How often it is that the angry man rages denial of what his inner self
is telling him. -- "The Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess