Re: [OT] perl help on number modification

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 5:01 AM, Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Gianluca Cecchi
> Todo:
> 1.20 must become 1.2
> 1.00 must become 1
> 1.25 must remain the same

Thanks to Dave, Jake and Geoffrey even if my answer was OT... thanks
also for the perl links

For Jake:
the problem is that in your example I think that perl assumes they are
numbers and renders them correspondingly. In my case, I get them as
strings during the workflow, so that perl doesn't manage
automatically...
For example:
perl -le '$foo=1.00; print $foo'
1
[gcecchi@tekkaman ~]$ perl -le '$foo="1.00"; print $foo'
1.00

BTW, it was the correct regex that I missed. Simple to read after you
pointed out, but (at least for me) difficult to catch initially... ;-)
Actually I had to make the job in awk where I then easily got the same
effect with:
sub(/\.?0+$/, "", foo)

Ah, right.  Well, just for the sake of TMTOWTDI, how about:

C:\>perl -le "$_ = q[GNU tar 1.20 is available]; print"
GNU tar 1.20 is available

C:\>perl -le "$_ = q[GNU tar 1.20 is available]; s/([.\d]+)/$1+0/eg; print"
GNU tar 1.2 is available

--
-jp

I wish I would have a real tragic love affair and get so bummed out that I'd just quit my job and become a bum for a few years, because I was thinking about doing that anyway.

deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com