Re: Error 15 when online upgrade from FC 10 to 12

On Friday 15 January 2010, Euro SLF wrote:
>Dear Srs
>
>I`ve decided for the online upgrading from Fedora 10 to 12.
>First i've got a message to delete old kernels to get free space.
>At the end, when booting, I've got a big problem:
>Error 15: File not found
>
>I noticed that the kernel number refered to those 2 or 3 I've deleted. I
>thought It shouldn't be a big problem because the new version would put a
>new kernel.
>
>Could you please guide me through this?
>Have I lost the data?
>
>I've already done some attempts but it did not work. See below:
>
>in the /boot I have:
>
>System.map.-2.6.31.9-174.fc12.i686
>config-2.6.31.9-174.fc12.i686
>efi
>grub
>initramfs-2.6.31.9-174.fc12.i686.img
>lost+found
>vmlinuz-2.6.31.9-174.fc12.i686.img
>
>In the boot/grub I have:
>
>device.map
>e2fs_stage1_5
>fat_stage1_5
>ffs_stage1_5
>grub.conf
>iso9660_stage1_5
>jfs_stage1_5
>menu.lst
>minix_stage1_5
>reiserfs_stage1_5
>splash.xpm.gz
>stage1
>stage2
>ufs2_stage1_5
>vstafs_stage1_5
>xfs_stage1_5
>
>In the grub.conf I have:
>
>first, because of the created swap file:
>E325: ATTENTION
>Found a swap file by the name ".main.c.swp"
>owned by: root dated: Thu Jan 14 11:09:28 2010
>file name: /boot/grub/grub.conf
>modified: no
>user name: root host name: localhost.localdomain
>process ID: 624
>While opening file "grub.conf"
>dated: Thu Jan 14 17:09:28 2010
>NEWER than swap file!
>(1) Another program may be editing the same file.
>If this is the case, be careful not to end up with two
>different instances of the same file when making changes.
>Quit, or continue with caution.
>
>(2) An edit session for this file crashed.
>If this is the case, use ":recover" or "vim -r grub.conf"
>to recover the changes (see ":help recovery").
>If you did this already, delete the swap file ".grub.conf.swp"
>to avoid this message.
>"grub.conf 17L, 650C"
>Press ENTER or type command to continue
>
>than:
>
># grub.conf generated by anaconda
>#
># Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
># NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
># all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
># root (hd0,0)
># kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
># initrd /initrd-version.img
> [...]

By not pressing 'r' when the choice was given, it looks like you lost the
updaters version of grub.conf.  Hopefully this is all that's wrong...

Now, since you know the versions that are now installed (see above), you will
have to, at the grub screen immediately after 'post', hit the 'e' key, select
the line to be edited with the up-down arrows, hit 'e' again edit both the
'kernel' and 'initrd' lines to be the new, now installed versions.  Once that
is done, and an enter is hit to take you back to the first edit screen, hit a
b to boot it.  If no typo's, it should work.  And the first thing you do when
you get logged in is to become root, and edit that grub.conf to correct it
for real, so you don't have to do that at every bootup.  And get rid of any
other oddly renamed versions of grub.conf so vim & you don't get confused
again. ;)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Losing your drivers' license is just God's way of saying "BOOGA, BOOGA!"