Re: possible bad ipv6 mirror

Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Once upon a time, Michael Cronenworth <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
>> IP: 2001:620:0:8::20
>>
>> yum has been attempting repeatedly to use this IP for updates. It
>> responds to pings, but not to HTTP requests. telnet IP 80 or firefox
>> does not get a webpage.
>
> Works for me (both HTTP and FTP), although neither Firefox nor Lynx
> would open it by IP "http://2001:620:0:8::20/";, only by name
> "http://mirror.switch.ch/"; (bug, or can you not access by IP with
> IPv6?).

chromium needed the url formatted with brackets in order or it to
recognize it as an ipv6 address.  Maybe firefox and lynx do too?

          http://[2001:620:0:8::20]/

(And yes, there is something screwed up with the yum over ipv6.
Wireshark shows the remote end stopping after the first real packet and
yum hangs forever then, with no timeout in at least 9 hours).

I've switched from using a "2001::" address to a "2002::" one.  The
advantage is that yum now tries ipv4 before ipv6.  I'm not sure where
the weird hueristic comes from to try an interface with a 2001 IPv6
address before IPv4, but to try a 2002 IPv6 address after the IPv4 one.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
If the airwaves belong to the public why does the public only get 3