vlc broken by redirect

Hi, I seem to have lost vlc. It was working ok til I tried the following from http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/iodirection.html.

"Like I told you before, files aren't the only places where you can redirect the standard output. You can redirect it to devices, too:
$ cat sound.wav > /dev/audio

As you saw, in the above example the cat command concatenates a file named sound.wav and the results are sent to a device called /dev/audio. What's the fun here, then? /dev/audio is the audio device, and when you send there the contents of a sound file, that file is played. So if your sound is properly configured, the above command plays the file sound.wav!"

I thought that if I sent a music file to vlc in this way, vlc would play it. So I did cat song.mp3 > /usr/bin/vlc. At this point vlc stopped working. I looked in /usr/bin and found that vlc had been turned into a music file! So I erased it, and removed it via yum. Success. Then I reinstalled via yum; success. But the messages now are: from terminal:

[chris@localhost bin]$ vlc
bash: vlc: command not found

>From gui: Could not launch 'VLC media player' Failed to execute child process "vlc" (No such file or directory).

Any help? Thanks,