Re: TV over the internet

On 01/11/2010 06:08 PM, users-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
William Case wrote:
>> >  What application do you use for watching? I've been looking for something user
>> >  friendly to give some people still on FC4 because they can understand xawtv and
>> >  all the easy to use applications stopped working. They rejected MythTV at the
>> >  point where it said "have your DBA set up a database..." and I have not found
>> >  anything which can handle clear-QAM, over the air digital, and NTSC without
>> >  asking for user entered channel frequencies in MHz or other things these people
>> >  aren't about to do.
>> >
>> >  Note: even if I was willing to set it up for them for free, they would expect
>> >  support at the same price, advice I give them, time consuming work not so much.
>> >
> I use TVTime.  It does one thing only, but it does it well.  It gives me
> my cable TV.
>
> It is easy to install and configure and just keeps on ticking.
>
> (Actually it does more than one thing, but there is no doubt that it's
> main purpose is to run a TV tuner card for TV viewing.)

Still on FC4???? On a Pentium 3 too I presume?

Clear-QAM and OTA require an ATSC tuner, while an NTSC tuner is needed
for analog cable. There are tuner units which will do both, although not
all will do so simultaneously.

Mythdora is a Fedora based, all in one install of mythtv. It will set up
everything you need from one iso image. And Mythtv has definitely NOT
required 'your DBA to set up a database' since well before Fedora 4. If
your hardware is known to Fedora, then mythtv will not require any
'channel entered frequencies'. You merely select the proper tuning
basis, such as US-Broadcast or US-cable when setting up the tuner(s).

At the moment, the problematic area is setting up QAM on cable channels
due to the cablecos using their own variable channel numbers for the
channels (and generally, not including proper PSIP infor in the stream).
That is, of course, where the cableco actually provides some clear
QAM...which Rogers Cable in Canada, for example, has not done since June
2007.
Geoff