Odd /proc/cpuinfo

    So I never paid attention to this since I always assumed the system
will do The Right Thing (TM), however while going through servers today,
I came across this discrepancy and was hoping someone here could help me
figure out what's going on.

    While 'cat'ing /proc/cpuinfo I see this (other information removed):

        vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
        cpu family      : 15
        model           : 4
        model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
        stepping        : 10
        cpu MHz         : 2400.000
        cache size      : 2048 KB

    Someone please explain to me how the CPU is a 3.4GHz CPU (which I've
verified by reading it right off of the top of the processor) and yet
two lines down it says that it's 2400.000 MHz (or 2.4GHz)  What happened
with the missing 1GHz?  The second CPU reports the same thing.

    Is this a motherboard issue?  Possibly not configured right?  If so,
boy do I feel stupid considering this machine has been in production for
a long time and no one's ever noticed.

    Comments?