Re: kernel module

Sorry my bad. It actual works compiling the module into the kernel and then using module.param=value sintax.

Sorry again.

Thank you,
 Luca

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Luca <lucarx76@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You are right. My module has been compiled into the kernel though.
But when the kernel starts I do not see it registered.

This is what I did
1)saved my module .c file in drivers/crypto/
2)edited drivers/kernel/Makefile adding obj-$(CONFIG_CRYPTO_MYMODULE) += mymodule.o
3)edited the drivers/crypto/Kconfig adding
 config CRYPTO_MYMODULE
 tristate "My module test"
 help
   Enable to test it

4)make menuconfig => setting my module to be built into the kernel

Thank you,
 Luca

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 6:55 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jan 2010, Luca wrote:

> Thank you.
> I do not have the file /etc/modprobe.conf
>
> Besides, I  think what I want to do is little different, as I want
> to be able with grub to change the value assigned to mymodule's
> argument.
>
> Essentially, I have mymodule.ko. If i do insmod mymodule.ko
> param="valueOfParam" I can see everything works (looking at
> /proc/devices I can see mymodule has registered) and I can read
> param (the read function implemented in mymodule just returns the
> value of the string module argument param.
>
> What I would like to do now, is to use grub and do something like
> ttile Fedora
>      root (hd1,0)
>      kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.30.9 ro root=/dev/.... mymodule.param="valueOfParam"
>      initrd /initrd-2.6.30.9
>
> Tried several things so far, but with no luck.

 i'm pretty sure that you can only use that "mymodule.param" notation
on the kernel command line for modules that have been *compiled into*
the kernel, no?  that won't work for loadable modules, but i'm willing
to be corrected.

rday

Robert P. J. Day                               Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Web page:                                          http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter:                                       http://twitter.com/rpjday