Problem with ssh identies

I am using the "command=" feature heavily as part of a backup system, which allows me to run commands on a remote server without allowing general function. I give the public key for a functionality to the server, add to authorized_keys, and can closely control the users. The key is chosen by use of the "-i" option to ssh.

All of this has been working nicely for several years.

However, it seems that ssh offers the default key *first* to the server, rather than the one specified on the command line. That's so bizarre I spent time checking that it really happened before asking here.

So the question is, how can I get ssh to offer the key I give it in the command line first? Preferably as the only key offered, actually, but definitely before the default key, which on several machines drops me into another application.

Is there some clever means or option I missed?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>