Re: mac usb drive problem with F11

On Friday 08 January 2010 10:10:57 am Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 01/07/2010 02:34 PM, Chris Smart wrote:
> > 2010/1/8 Rick Stevens<ricks@xxxxxxxx>:
> >> AFAIK, only HFS, HFS+ (journaled HFS) isn't there yet.
> >
> > Yes, that's what I thought. Interestingly though his mount command
> > shows that it's mounted rw, yet if he couldn't write to it I'd expect
> > some kind of error.
>
> IIRC (and my experience had to do with using an iPod as a drive, so
> keep that in mind), you didn't get an error from the write.  I think
> the write occurred as far as Linux was concerned, but the device
> wouldn't actually commit the write to disk because of the journal.
>
> Once you turned off journaling, writes generated an SELinux error.
> That should be fixed (HFS is supposed to be treated the same as NFS in
> later SELinux versions).  I had BZ'd that glitch and I think that was
> the response.
>
> > So Dave, under OS X you can turn journalling OFF on the device, then
> > reboot into Linux and try it without journalling.
> > It's something like:
> >
> > sudo diskutil disableJournal /Volumes/VOLUME_NAME

Thanks to all who answered.

I tried mounting it with -force, which in principle ought to have permitted
writes, but even though the write operation went as I would have expected
(messages about copying n files then n-1 files all the way down to zero),
after the copy I saw no new data on the drive. PITA.

So now I've copied all the data to a ntfs usb drive and will next plug that
into the macbook pro to see if I can get the data there. And the hfsplus
volume works with the macbook pro, so in principle.....

crossing my fingers...

Dave

> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                      ricks@xxxxxxxx -
> - AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 22643734            Yahoo: origrps2 -
> -     If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...     -
> -              ...oh, wait.  He does.  THAT explains it!             -

>From outside our borders, the climate crisis doesn't look anything like the
meteors or space invaders that Todd Stern imagined hurtling toward Earth. It
looks, instead, like a long and silent war waged by the rich against the
poor.

Naomi Klein