Re: Tar oddity...

DB wrote:
> On 12/22/2009 09:51 PM, Roberto Ragusa wrote:

> -variable numbers of md5sum errors running on the F12 laptop (for
> example, will run 3 times with same checksum then 1 error); variable cmp
> errors(again, one or two clear runs then a pile of miscompares, then
> again several ok runs);

That is really bad.
If the machine is unreliable, any kind of hard computation (such
as data compression) will have problems.
Maybe the problem is caused by something bad in the F12 distro (such
as new graphics drivers). I suppose you tried the LiveCD on the laptop,
and it looks like F11=good, F12=bad.

> If /usr/bin/ark is fubared, any idea how I can best put it right?

yum reinstall of the correct rpm (kdeutils?).

Try also "rpm -V" to check.

But if md5sum and cmp randomly fail, the problem is not ark.
The machine is unstable, for hardware or software reasons.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it