Re: How do I get SB X-FI sound card working on Fedora 12

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 10:58 -0600, John Nissley wrote:
 According to the alsa matrix its supposed to be included in alsa
 1.0.21,.
 ... Though, as I far as I remember, this is still initial support.

 What's the output of $ /sbin/lsmod | grep snd_?

 - Gilboa

 Output as follows:
 bash-4.0$ lsmod | grep snd_*
 snd_hda_codec_ca0110     8816  1
 snd_hda_intel          29024  2
 snd_hda_codec          79536  2 snd_hda_codec_ca0110,snd_hda_intel
 snd_hwdep               9384  1 snd_hda_codec
 snd_seq                55440  0
 snd_seq_device          7860  1 snd_seq
 snd_pcm                79400  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
 snd_timer              22128  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
 snd                    64968  11 snd_hda_codec_ca0110,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer
 soundcore               7328  1 snd
 snd_page_alloc         10000  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

Your X-FI seems to be loaded just fine.
Stupid question... Have you un-muted your sound card? (By default sound
is muted.)

If you did, please install alsa-utils and check if alsa-mixer sees and
can control the sound card.

If it doesn't please install pavucontrol and check that pulseaudio is
configured correctly.

- Gilboa

Not a stupid question because I spent a few hours one day troubleshooting sound and the card was muted.

This in not the case here.  The card is not muted.  alsamixer looks normal and nothing is muted.
I tried to run pavucontrol and it would not connect. I have pulse audio installed but to be honest I usually un-install pulseaudio because
it never seems to work correctly.  Audio in linux / Fedora has always been a challenge for me.

Another point that I probably should have made earlier is that I did compile alsa-driver-1.0.22.1.0.g2d697.0.g88788 since I thought I
would need it.

I received this from the alsa forum but am not really sure how to do what it asks.
So, first of all, the kernel modules which are supposed to support integrated Intel audio chips get loaded, and they shouldn't.

1)You need to find out where is the file storing info about what modules
are started, and remove everything with "intel" (like "hda-intel")

2) Try to add "snd-ctxfi" there

3) I'm not using Fedora, so
I can't be really helpful. Please refer to Fedora forums for further
info, you can attach my email ;)