Re: Best way to get minimal system

Paul W. Frields wrote:
On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 12:28:55AM +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 09:22 +1100, Chris Smart wrote:
Hi all, what's the best way to get a minimal Fedora system?
What do you mean by minimal?

If you mean just the base system kernel, libraries, and yum and its
dependencies, and you don't want to use kickstart to do it, you can
get a reasonable facsimile by installing from the netinstall ISO and
deselecting every package group.

You need to do this with the "Customize selection" option, rather than
simply turning off the small number of extra capabilities shown on the
general users screen.  If you leave something selected behind the
scenes, its dependencies will bring in a lot of non-minimal stuff.

The result is about 200 packages (a few hundred MB, depending on how
you count exactly) installed, and a text/CLI only system.  You'll need
to configure the network with system-config-network (since there's no
NetworkManager available) and then you can go to town. :-)

I think I remember a click box for "minimal system" install, which was a good idea for this.

Suggestion: This would be a great option to have at the start of a custom installation, to uncheck everything for the user, who could then install the minimal things needed from there. In other words, it would be a starting point, not "this is all I want" option.

On servers it is sometimes useful to have a few X applications to be run to a server on remote machines withut a local server and the tom of cruft that entails.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>