Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 3:00 AM
Subject: Re: Fedora 11 network share browsing using Natuilus with Samba -Fixed?

On Sat, 2010-01-02 at 18:54 -0500, KC8LDO wrote:
I did an awful lot of research using Google on the network file share
browsing issue I had with Fedora 11 using Nautilus. The two things
that stand out are something the ISP's are doing and also with the
NetBIOS name resolution order done by Samba.

If you use local services that need to resolve local machine names, then
you really need to have a local name server that can do so.  No remote
name server, such as your ISP's, is going to be able to do it for you
(unless you have an ISP which allocates you individual IPs for each of
your machines, and their DNS server integrates that information into
itself - something of a rareity).

The alternative to using a local name server, is messing with your hosts
file.  Samba avoids some of that problem by trying other methods of name
resolution, first, before doing a normal DNS look up, such as you've
looked at below:

The second item is the NetBIOS name resolution order in Samba. I have
the following line in my samba.conf file:

name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast host dhcp

Anybody care to comment about this?

Quite normal...  First it's trying name resolution using its own lmhosts
file, which you can enter machine names and IPs in (similar to the host
file, but not the same).  Then it tries a WINS server (if you have one).
Then it tries a broadcast query, hoping that the machine in question
will respond, itself.  Then it tries looking up the hosts file.
Finally, there's something to do with dhcp.

Have you looked at "man smb.conf"?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686