Re: control-C and yum update

On Sun, 2010-01-03 at 21:42 -0800, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> While reinstalling f12 on a machine that I "messed up", I was
> following all my notes and directions and reached the point where the
> install was successful and it was time to update. I did a "su -l" and
> then typed "yum update". I realized I had forgotten something and
> immediately did a "control-C" in the terminal that I had executed the
> "yum update". To my surprise, it ignored it until it got to the first
> confirm and then proceeded to kill the process. No problem as the
> update was stopped but ...
>
> I though "control-C" was an immediate kill of whatever was running and
> was wondering why yum didn't stop when I tried to kill it.

In the yum updating case, it's breaking the current process (downloading
some file), but not the thing controlling it.  You'd need to CTRL+C more
than once, to break the chain of events higher up.

The first break will abort the current download, and yum will try to
download the same file from another repo, as the next action.  This is
actually useful, for things like when you notice the download is
excruciatingly slow, but you still want to do a yum update.  You can
simply CTRL+C to make it use another repo mirror.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.