Re: Problems ripping DVDs I legally own to my media server

> To make clear - I am only doing this with DVDs I legally own.  I am not
> pirating, I am just trying to get all my DVDs onto a media server I am
> building instead of having them strewn all over the entertainment center.

It doesn't matter

> Specifically, I tried to rip Transformers 2 Revenge of the Fallen.  It
> apparently has some new copy protection scheme where it reports that it
> is 80 gigs, and every method I tried to decrypt them under Linux failed.

Please hand yourself in to the thought police for punishment.

> I wound up having to fire up my dusty old Windows box and use Ideal DVD
> Copy to rip them successfully (http://tinyurl.com/yg8269g).

For two offences, oh no a link - make that three 8)

> What, if anything, are you using to make legit backups of your newer,
> copy-protected DVDs under Linux?

Move country outside the USA or the EU or a few other similar places. In
the US case even posting a link to tools for cracking crypto on DVDs is
not permitted (the 2600 case)

Alan