Re: Also having NFSv4 problems

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-01-03 at 22:05 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> >   a private emailer tells me that what's causing the problem above
> > is deselecting the NFSv1 line from /etc/sysconfig/nfs.
> > apparently, that causes the problem so you should try this:
> >
> > #MOUNTD_NFS_V1="no"
> > MOUNTD_NFS_V2="no"
> > MOUNTD_NFS_V3="no"
> >
> > weirdly, that fixes that last problem.  why should that be?
>
> Robert,
>
> Weird is right. It does fix the nfs restart problem, but not the
> manual nfs mount problem. There's something else still lurking.
> Thanks.

  ok, one more post on this topic, then i'll shut up.  as i've
mentioned more than once, you can't do this in /etc/sysconfig/nfs:

MOUNTD_NFS_V1="no"
MOUNTD_NFS_V2="no"
MOUNTD_NFS_V3="no"

you can, however, do this:

#MOUNTD_NFS_V1="no"
MOUNTD_NFS_V2="no"
MOUNTD_NFS_V3="no"

  in short, if you try to deactivate NFSv1 support, you will get an
error trying to start rpc.mountd.  however, if you look ever *further*
down /etc/sysconfig/nfs, you see:

# Optional arguments passed to rpc.nfsd. See rpc.nfsd(8)
# Turn off v2 and v3 protocol support
RPCNFSDARGS="-N 2 -N 3"
# Turn off v4 protocol support
#RPCNFSDARGS="-N 4"

  ok, so what if i try to deactivate NFSv1 support there as well with:

RPCNFSDARGS="-N 1 -N 2 -N 3"

# service nfs start
Starting NFS services:                                     [  OK  ]
Starting NFS quotas:                                       [  OK  ]
Starting NFS daemon: 1: Unsupported version
                                                           [FAILED]
#

  ok, that's telling me that referring to NFSv1 is simply an error,
and references to it should be either removed or ignored, such as from
/etc/init.d/nfs.  does that make sense?

rday