Re: whence RPCBIND_ARGS?

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010, Cameron Simpson wrote:

> On 02Jan2010 14:47, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> |   i'm tracing the execution of rpcbind on my f12 system, and in the
> | common code, i read:
> |
> | prog="rpcbind"
> | [ -f /etc/sysconfig/$prog ] && . /etc/sysconfig/$prog
> |
> | while in the start() function, there is:
> |
> | daemon $prog $RPCBIND_ARGS $1
> |
> |   i'm curious about this since:
> |
> | 1) there's no apparent documentation for setting/using $RPCBIND_ARGS
>
> "man rpcbind" describes a heap of options. Clearly you can put any of
> them into RPCBIND_ARGS.
>
> | 2) there's no /etc/sysconfig/rpcbind file for initial config
>
> A pity. There really ought to be a stub file with an empty
> RPCBIND_ARGS="" assignment. And a comment.
>
> | 3) there's no mention of RPCBIND_ARGS in the rpcbind man page
>
> Of course not. It's an artifact of the f12 startup scripts, not the
> rpcbind daemon itself.
>
> |   admittedly, that doesn't make any of this *wrong*, it just seems
> | that $RPCBIND_ARGS is kind of hanging out there, without anyone making
> | an effort to explain what might be done with it or why it would be
> | useful.  thoughts?
>
> Like all the /etc/sysconfig files, you can put something like:
>
>  RPCBIND_ARGS="-h some.local.lan.address"
>
> or the like to start rpcbind with particular arguments.

  i'm not suggesting there's anything *wrong* with the current
situation, just that since /etc/init.d/rpcbind explicitly refers to
RPCBIND_ARGS, it would have been handy to have mentioned it somewhere
so users might be able to take advantage of it.

  personally, i like your suggestion 2) above -- have a no-op
/etc/sysconfig/rpcbind file with at least a few comments and sample
variable settings.

rday