Re: Where did my penguins go? - THAT'S LIFE

Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
On Thu, 2009-12-31 at 12:15 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
Sam Varshavchik wrote:
g writes:

Richard Shaw wrote:

Many thanks to all, but after trying all of the suggested VESA
alternatives I've concluded that the nouveau driver sans penguins is
vastly superior. Setting vga=0x37d for a starting text screen with a
1920x1200x32 resolution displayed the four penguins, but when startup
switched to graphical mode the screen went solid black. Using the vesafb
driver fixed that, but the result is S-L-O-W.

If your LCD display is like most of mine, it takes a moment to change mode when the scan rate changes. The penguins come up early, it's possible that the display misses them. Note, I'm throwing that out for discussion, not stating it as a fact.

The nouveau driver is a big improvement over nv, but it apparently lacks
the ability to display core penguins after the startmenu. As I
speculated in my original post, this seems to be an artifact of the
nouveau driver. Considering the alternatives, I can accept that.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>