reboot cycle, no log messages

Just before it reboots, it gives me messages about old ext3 partitions that have problems mounting.

History:

this machine has seen upgrades and re-installs from FC2 or so. Most recently, I had succeeded in doing an upgrade from F7 to F9 using a netinstall CD and some patient cleaning up, then an uneventful upgrade to F10.

Then I seriously botched a CD-less upgrade via the command-line upgrade tool because my /var/log partition only had 2G and I needed more than that for the packages. (Used lvm to extend /var/log to 5 G and then it did something really strange that I don't quite recall and left me with a system partially upgraded, trying to find th wrong kernel. And I didn't want to mess with that, so I cleared an old 40G partition I wasn't really using and wiped the botched boot partition, leaving the old stuff behind in the lvm-managed partition it had been in.

Installed F12, and it booted fine. Then I added some old partitions I'd been using for backup to /etc/fstab, and added the old lvm partition, as well, for laughs. At that point, it would start boot cycling, repeating 2 to 7 or more times before something settled down and it would boot.

This is what I captured with a digital camera when it cycled:

--------------------------------
/dev/mapper/fc7-7[various]: clean [long list of partitions from the old system]
/dev/mapper/fc7-7varwww: clean, 644/516896 files, 27268/516896 blocks
[failed]

*** An error occured during the file system check,
*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
*** when you leave the shell.
*** Warning -- SELinux is active
*** Disabling security enforcement for system recovery.
*** Run 'setenforce 1' to reenable.
sulogin: error while loading shared libraries: libfreebl3.so: cannot open shared
 object file: No such file or directory
Unmounting file system
Automatic reboot in progress.
-------------------------------

After it successfully booted, I would be able to mount and access the old /var/www partition with no problem.

I find this message in the forum:

but my /var/log/messages contains no EXT4-fs error messages.

Setting the passno entry in /etc/fstab to 0 or commenting out the entry just pushes the error message back. When a large partition at / dev/sdb4, which I use for backup, is the final partition checked in / etc/fstab, it gives me

fsck.ext3: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while trying to open /dev/sdb4
Could this be a zero-length partition?

and then the messages about libfreebl3.so and the automatic reboot.

yum provides libfreebl3.so tells me that nss-softokn-freebl is installed. Trying an erase to re-install it tells me that most of the OS and most of the apps seem to be dependent on it, one way or another. Hmm.

This looks like I need to file a bug or two. Anyone know what's happening here?

Joel Rees