Re: What is the smallest device that will run Fedora 12 ? Evolution ? Kontact ?

Linuxguy123 wrote:
On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 10:58 -0700, Kevin Kempter wrote:
On Wednesday 23 December 2009 10:42:50 Linuxguy123 wrote:
On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 10:00 -0700, Kevin Kempter wrote:
On Wednesday 23 December 2009 09:53:56 Linuxguy123 wrote:
So what is the smallest practical device that will run F12 ?

How else could one run apps like Evolution and Contact on a small
device ?  Could they be made to run on a Symbian device ?  What about
Android ?

Thanks
The nokia N900 runs debian, you can open a terminal, tweak the sources
and install things via dpkg.  I have a co-worker that has one - it's
pretty impressive.
I felt foolish posting this question but now I am very glad I did.

Is the n900 running Debian out of the box or did your friend load it
with Debian ?  Is Maemo Debian ?

What Linux apps will it run ?  Does it have Gnome/Qt/KDE ?   It must
support Qt apps because Nokia bought Qt.

Has anyone here fooled around with putting mainstream Linux apps on the
N900 ?

It's Maemo Debian, came that way out of the box
I've read a few posts about folks installing mainstream apps on it with success. I dont think it has KDE/Gnome, it's a touch-screen maemo specific interface.

I'll know more in the coming weeks, Mine is due to be delivered today

Please let me/us (?) know how you like it.  It would be SO sweet to be
running Linux on our phones, laptops and servers !  One OS and so much
flexibility, not have to learn some new SDK, etc.
We are quite disappointed with my wife's iPhone.  Everything is so
locked up.
You know what they say, "there's an app for that."  ;-)

If you need a phone (talk/text) a smart phonme is the way to go. If you need G3 connectivity, Verizon is the way to go if you operate in rural or suburb location. If cell is expendable, netbook and Skype (or similar) wins. My opinion only, warranty coverage limited to your purchase price on the advice.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>