Re: IBM Netfinity 5000

Those machines came with "Smart Start" packages like the older Compaq servers.

You need to boot up with the IBM NetFinity "SmartStart" disk and install a service partition for NT4. Compaq Presario DL-360 rackmount servers don't have a BIOS than can save parameters, as I recall from working on the NetFinity 5000 years ago at Gannett, they don't either. The startup parameters are stored on the service partition of the boot disk created with "SmartStart".

These machines were produced abt. 1996 so I doubt if they will support a DVD drive.

The IBM website may have the NetFinity "SmartStart" disk as an .iso image on their website... Compaq does.

If this is a rack mount machine there should be 3 hot swap bays in the center of the front panel. They're attached to an embedded RAID controller so don't forget to configure them.

Hope this helps,

Jack