Re: Booting Fedora-12 from hard disk, again, again

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 01:52:24 +0000
Timothy Murphy wrote:

> But since there actually is a file called install.img
> involved centrally in this process,
> to use the term "installation image" for another file
> seems bound to cause confusion.
> Why not just call it the ISO file, or .iso file?

I've been doing hard disk installs for quite a while now, and
since fedora 10 (I think it was) you do indeed need the
install.img file from the iso.

Here's the procedure I have now used successfully many
times:

1. Get the iso image stashed in a directory which contains
no other .iso file on a partition that will survive the
install. Let's use a specific example from my system.
I have a external USB drive mounted at /backup with
the disk label BACKUP and lots of iso images stashed
in /backup/iso-images subdirectories.

cd /backup/iso-images/Fedora-12-x86_64-DVD/
mkdir mnt
mount -o loop Fedora-12-x86_64-DVD.iso mnt
mkdir images
cp mnt/images/install.img images
mkdir /boot/f12
cp mnt/isolinux/initrd.img /boot/f12
cp mnt/isolinux/vmlinuz /boot/f12
umount mnt
rmdir mnt

Now edit the /boot/grub/grub.conf file and add an entry
like this (adjusting the hd0,4 or whatever appropriately):

title Install Fedora 12 x86_64
	root (hd0,4)
	kernel /boot/f12/vmlinuz repo=hd:LABEL=BACKUP:/iso-images/Fedora-12-x86_64-DVD/
	initrd /boot/f12/initrd.img

Things to note: It is much simpler to have the install.img file
extracted in the images directory next to the iso image than to
provide separate boot parameters to say where it is.

Using the LABEL= syntax to specify which disk seems to be
essential as well, since anaconda appears to quite frequently
enumerate the disks in a different order than the current installed
linux does (so you may think it is /dev/sdc, but when anaconda
boots, it is really /dev/sdb, then it can't find the files, etc).

Now all you have to do is reboot and pick the "Install" item
when it gets to grub, and off you go...