Re: Firefox not working after on line updates

Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 22Dec2009 08:24, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> | Frank Cox wrote:
> | >
> | > This is likely your problem.  Firefox probably expects to find sqlite
> | > installed from a Fedora rpm and not a homebuilt one.
> | >
> | All this is rather strange since I did a
> | rpm --test -e sqlite
> |
> | There is no "is needed by (installed) firefox"  but there is "is needed
> | by (installed) thunderbird".
> |
> | So, it would not appear that firefox is dependent on sqlite.
>
> Well, its rpm isn't; bad rpm spec file? The bookmarks/places stuff uses an
> sqlite db, so firefox definitely does need sqlite from somewhere.

After a bit of research it doesn't appear that firefox is dependent on
sqlite.  However, it is dependent on xulrunner which is dependent on sqlite.

FWIW, when one downloads the source of FF from mozilla.org the necessary
xulrunner and sqlite components are embedded/included in the source.  It
seems the build rpm process for FF uses xulrunner-devel-unstable but
takes the necessary sqlite bits from its own source.

In other words...for file manipulation of cookies.sqlite and other db
files it uses a static built sqlite.  For xulrunner functions it uses
dynamic libs.  (Or words to that effect....too early....no coffee....)

--
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. --
Albert Einstein Guess Who! http://tinyurl.com/mc4xe7