Re: Fedora 12 not seeing floppy disk controller [SOLVED]

Robert Nichols wrote:
For some reason my F-12 system  is not seeing my floppy disk controller
at boot time.  If I manually run "modprobe floppy" the controller is
recognized ("FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077") and the drive works.  Any
ideas?  F-11  finds the controller OK.

The solution turns out to be really simple.  I did not have the floppy
drive hooked up when I did the install.  As a result, anaconda did
not create the /etc/modprobe.d/floppy-pnp.conf file.  With that file
in place, F-12 sees the floppy drive just fine at boot.

    $ cat /etc/modprobe.d/floppy-pnp.conf
    alias pnp:dPNP0700 floppy
    alias acpi:PNP0700: floppy

The final glitch I had to fix is that all Linux kernels I've tried have
problems with DMA when writing to the built-in floppy controller on my
motherboard (ASUS M4A78T-E).  The symptom is that the driver writes the
first 2 bytes and than hangs forever with the floppy motor running.
Workaround for that is to add "floppy=nodma" as a parameter to the
floppy module.  That's almost certainly non-optimal (it applies to
reading, too), but I don't use floppy disks often enough to care.  I
added a file in /etc/modprobe.d :

    $ cat /etc/modprobe.d/floppy-nodma.conf
    options floppy floppy=nodma

                Do NOT delete it.