Re: F12 Live CHECKSUM failing

On 12/19/2009 09:22 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Saturday 19 December 2009, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
On Sat, 2009-12-19 at 01:24 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
Ktorrent hangs in there till somebody starts seeding what it needs, but I
have very very little experience with the others so can't say what they
do.

I have seen the seed count goto zero a couple of times, but when I got up
the next morning, it had the file and was seeding it.
Gene,

In this case a better alternative to torrent would probably be rsync,
especially since you probably have 99.99% of the right bits. The Fedora
downloads site doesn't support rsync, but lots of its mirrors do.

rsync's command line options can be a bit imposing if you haven't used
it before. From your Fedora-12-x86_64-Live directory, type and run the
following command line (this is long and may wrap, but it's all one line
including the trailing " .").

$ rsync -acvzP
rsync://rsync.gtlib.gatech.edu/fedora-enchilada/linux/releases/12/Live/x86_
64/Fedora-12-x86_64-Live.iso .

This will do a block-by-block comparison of a known good source file at
the Georgia Tech mirror against your local copy. It will replace any
local blocks that don't match those on the mirror. It should only take
rsync a very few minutes to repair your iso file.

HTH

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL
Its my understanding that restarting the torrent will do the same thing,
without needed the drive space for the 2nd copy of the file.  Both use
checksums over the individual 64k block of data, with rsync copying the data
locally to the 2nd file if they match, whereas torrent will replace the
defective 64k block insitu with the net fetch if the local is bad.  I would
imagine that the rsync times could be calculated to be a very small amount
longer due to the copying involved, but OTOH, connection latencies might
swamp that out.

We have about a foot of white stuff here&  still coming down.  Here being WV,
about 100 miles north of Charleston on I-79.

I don't see that al this a problem of torrent . As mentioned earlier [though i'm still confused] its some issue in the signing of the ISO. let me give a try creating the boot-able USB under windows.

--
Saurabh Sharma
Linux user number: 490644