Re: Always need authentication to print?

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In that screen in system-config-printer did you fill in the:
> user-name and passwd boxes. Evidently that is sometimes needed,, and
> filling those boxes should solve your problem.

I never knew that there were user-name and passwd boxes. They
certainly weren't easy to find. Had to click on the "Change..." button
next to the "Device URI" entry. (Which doesn't make any intuitive
sense to me since I can just change the URI in the entry directly.)
Then I had to enter the root password *twice* before it would draw the
resulting dialog. Then I changed the radio selection to "Set
authentication details now" and entered the printer's Username and
Password into the entries and clicked "Apply". Then I was prompted for
the root password *again*.

So now I'm back at the Printer Properties dialog. I click the "Print
Test Page" button and "Printer State" changes to "Idle - Tree connect
failed (NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED)", which I interpret as some kind of
error. However, the printer spits out a test page!

But alas, still no joy in the non-test-page world. Every time I print,
the system asks for the printer's Username and Password.