how to get F12 to 'send host-name' in dhcp request?

Hello,

I have a couple virtual machines hooked together on a virtual LAN inside Virtualbox. The server box has CentOS 5.4 running dnsmasq providing local name resolution, dns caching, and dhcp. Specifically, it is configured so that when a client sends a dhcp request containing 'send host-name "demandred.local", dnsmasq will check /etc/hosts on the server, and give the requesting dhcp client the corresponding ip address listed in /etc/hosts.

I have three 'client' VMs: desktop installs of Ubuntu 9.10, Debian Lenny, and Fedora 12.

In Ubuntu 9.10, running Network Manager this was fairly simple: I set it to send a DHCP Client ID of 'asmodean', and voila! it gets the address 10.0.0.2 as listed in the /etc/hosts on the gateway server box.

In Debian Lenny, I had to make a minor edit to /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf, basically creating a line that said 'send host-name "lanfear" and bam!, that machine got its ip address (10.0.0.4) exactly as listed in /etc/hosts on the server.

In Fedora 12, running Network Manager, with the name 'demandred' entered just as I did on the Ubuntu box... I get a random ip from the pool. I *do not* get the ip that is associated with that name in the /etc/hosts file on the server, like the other two machines did.

I've checked the spelling, in the /etc/hosts file, in the /etc/dnsmasq.conf file, and on the F12 client. Everything looks good. If I change the dnsmasq.conf file on the server to id the client by MAC address, then the F12 box gets its ip as intended. But not if I just specify the client id in Network Manager. I've looked, and because there *is* Network Manager, there doesn't seem to be a dhclient.conf anymore. I've heard various rumors of there being interface specific variants, but so far I'm not having any luck finding out where the F12 equivalent of dhclient.conf is. One person mentioned /var/run/nm-dhclient-eth0.conf, which does contain 'send dhcp-client-identifier "demandred"; along with some comments that the file was created by Network manager and that line was added by it.

So... while I can 'make' this work (by including the MAC address) if I need it, I still am at a loss as to why it doesn't seem to be working *right*. At this point I'm starting to wonder if the 'send dhcp-client-identifier "demandred" bit is getting to the dnsmasq server, or if its just not accepting it because its expecting 'send host-name...'?

Can someone help me out here? This is driving me nutty. How do I make F12 send the right request to the dhcp server?

TIA,

Monte