Re: pinfo grub issues? (was: Re: F10 rpm of grub2 completely broken)

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 09:57:29 -0500, Gene wrote:

> >> But a pinfo grub has a lot of blank entries.
> >
> I may have miss-typed, and meant a pinfo grub2 has lots of blank entries.

F10's grub2 package does not include any "info" manual at all.
Fedora's RPM package "grub2" does not contain any scriptlets that
would mess with other info manuals.

$ rpm -q grub2
grub2-1.98-0.3.20080827svn.fc10.i386
$ rpm -qld grub2|grep info
$ rpm -q --scripts grub2|grep info
$

Even on Fedora 12, "rpm -qld grub2|grep info" is empty. No info manual.

> But
> there is not an info file with the grub2 install.  Except there is, but you
> get it with a pinfo grub after having installed grub2.

?? That's not for GRUB2, however, but for legacy GRUB:

$ rpm -qf /usr/share/info/grub.info.gz
grub-0.97-38.fc10.i386

$ info -w grub
/usr/share/info/grub.info.gz
$

>  The following entries
> in that file (fedora F10 grub2 rpm installed) are link-less, empty:
>
> * Configuration::               Writing your own configuration file
> * Network::                     Downloading OS images from a network
> * Preset Menu::                 Embedding a configuration file into GRUB
> * Images::                      GRUB image files
> * Troubleshooting::             Error messages produced by GRUB
> * Invoking the grub shell::     How to use the grub shell
> * Invoking grub-terminfo::      How to generate a terminfo command
> * Internals::                   Hacking GRUB

Cannot reproduce.

$ rpm -q pinfo grub
pinfo-0.6.9-8.fc10.i386
grub-0.97-38.fc10.i386

$ rpm -qld grub|grep /info
/usr/share/info/grub.info.gz
/usr/share/info/multiboot.info.gz
$ rpm -V grub
$

> attempting to read any of the above entries gets you a no such file or
> directory advisory at the bottom of the window.  And I think you will have to
> agree that is a lot of missing data.
>
> Particularly when it doesn't Just Work.

Look closer. ;) The packaging does not contain any obvious mistake.
Have you messed up your infodir with manual installs?

Apply some trouble-shooting skills. Don't jump to conclusions.