Re: Help: No internet connection

Simon wrote:
> > happy. So let's give it a try:
> > <snip>
> > Sounds like you are actually quite close. Once wired is working, the
> > universe of points of screwup gets a lot smaller!

>My! I sure feel like if I'm doing something wrong:

Not really. Your ifconfig output shows that your machine knows it has 2 interfaces, and it appears that both are connecting and getting IP addresses from the router (unless you have set them both static: you did not say. But wired works, so now there is just the wireless setup!

[root@sangam wicd-1.6.2.2]# python setup.py install>
Using init file ('/etc/rc.d/init.d/', 'init/redhat/wicd')
Using pid path wicd.pid
Language support for es_CL es_NI zh_TW no sr nl el es_ES ml uk vi he fi
nl_NL ca pt eu eo ka de_DE fr it ko zh_HK lv es bg gl ru_RU fa sk es_VE
de ro da pt_BR fr_CA et kk sl es_AR cs lt ja ru sv hu te ar_EG zh_CN id
tr es_MX pl it_IT es_GT
running install
error: invalid Python installation: unable to open
/usr/lib/python2.6/config/Makefile (No such file or directory)

You are not *doing* anything wrong, but something *IS* wrong.
Check that you have a /usr/lib/python2.6 folder. It should exist, as should the config subfolder. Does on my F12 install.
If it does not, then
'yum install python python-devel'
And re-try the wicd install.

The other route is to go back to NetworkManager. It is already installed and should work (in its inimitable obscure fashion).

Since you do not have wicd in the way, then:
chkconfig wpa_supplicant on
chkconfig NetworkManager on

Disconnect the wired connection and re-boot. Then 'system-config-network'
and check that the wireless card is properly defined. NM should find the wlan0 interface, and connect.
As noted before, this works best if encryption is turned off at this stage.
(I cannot remember if network services are supposed to on, or off. But NetworkManager deals with that)
You are almost there!

Geoff