Re: F10 rpm of grub2 completely broken

On Tuesday 15 December 2009, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:16:08 -0500, Gene wrote:

>> >Let me guess (taking into account the grub config mess in a recent
>> >thread), you did not try to chainload boot sectors the ordinary way, but
>> >instead you tried to let legacy GRUB mount ext4 /boot partitions before
>> > it supported that file-system. For proper chainloading, rootnoverify is
>> > helpful.
>>
>> Precisely what I was doing.
>
>Then what you've done is not chainloading, but trying to make one
>boot loader boot multiple dists via multiple boot menu entries in
>a single grub.conf.

The way I am doing it right now, is to use the grub2 switch stanza that names
core.img as the kernel to boot.
Then, because the mint 8 version of grub-mkconfig is the only one that
actually works to scan all drives and find all installs, I am copying the
mint 8 version of grub.cfg to my /boot/grub2/grub.cfg, after fixing the one
mistake that version puts into its grub.cfg file.  That mistake is in
specifying the wrong path to get the initrd from.

In grub2 you can specify a different location for the initrd by this syntax:
	initrd (hdx,x) initrd-version.img
And it gets the (hdx,x) wrong by pointing it back to (hd0,1) after doing a
set root=(hd3,1) 2 lines above.

For that particular install the diff is moot cuz mandriva has not yet
switched to grub2, so my existing /boot/grub/grub.conf can boot it just fine,
but the above fixes should allow me to boot it all from the 2nd menu shown.
That will be tested in the next few hours and I'll confirm or not that it all
Just Works(TM) despite the complexity in trying to describe it.

Thanks Micheal.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

If life is merely a joke, the question still remains: for whose amusement?