Re: Install on new computer keeping OEM OS

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Alan Evans <ame.fedora@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I just got a brand-new machine with Windows 7 pre-installed on its
> massive hard drive. Of course, Fedora is more my style, but I'd like
> to keep the original OS intact and dual boot.
>
> My question is this then: How safe is it really to allow the installer
> to resize the existing partition with Win7 already there? I saw that
> it had the option, but I was terrified to try it.
>
> At this point, I've never booted the OEM hard drive. I just
> immediately plugged in the drive from my previous computer and booted
> F11 to check for basic hardware compatibility, so the machine's drive
> is yet-untouched.
>
> -Alan

____

To be on the safe side, see whether you can create Recovery CDs from the
Win7 setup. Just so you can put the system back into its factory install. If
you don't have this option, at least try to preserve the partition that contains
the WIn7 OEM installation, if it exists.

~af