Re: F10 rpm of grub2 completely broken

On Saturday 12 December 2009, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:30:54 -0600, Bruno wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 13:08:32 -0500,
>>
>>   Gene Heskett wrote:
>> > So the Mint8 installers update-grub comes a heck of a lot closer to
>> > getting it right than the fedora grub2 version.  Can this be fixed
>> > asap, before the plug on F10 is completely pulled?
>>
>> The deadline for F10 updates was yesterday, so probably not.
>
>Strange request anyway.
>
>http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/10/Everything/s
>ource/SRPMS/ grub2-1.98-0.3.20080827svn.fc10.src.rpm	30-Oct-2008 20:03
> 	971K
>
>No update. No test-update. In other words, this grub2 package is more than
>a year old. To give it a try in Dec 2009 is very late. Fedora 10's boot
>loader is GRUB 0.97, btw.

There obviously are patches available, and even though its still wet behind
the ears, debian/ubuntu is using it as the default booter.

>grub2 in bugzilla doesn't show much activity either:
>https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classificatio
>n=Fedora&product=Fedora&component=grub2&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&
>bug_status=MODIFIED&bug_status=ON_DEV&bug_status=ON_QA&bug_status=VERIFIED&
>bug_status=FAILS_QA&bug_status=RELEASE_PENDING&bug_status=POST&bug_status=C
>LOSED
>
>Try to reproduce your problem with Fedora 11 or 12, then bugzilla it.

I did have F12 installed, 64 bit version, but it was (pick a number * 10)
slower than the 32 bit F10 install.  And when I posted a dual question about
it, I got all sorts of WAG's as to what it might be, even going so far as to
blame my network switch, but none of them were 'grok'able.  Most answers
concentrated on the other question and ignored that it was as slow as a
PII-66 mhz running in 16 megs of non-interleaved ram.

I might try it again at some point, after a respin or two, but at this point
I am trying to migrate everything to a 64 bit Mint 8 install.

As far as I'm concerned, F12 was released 6 months before it was ready, and I
need a machine I can trust to do my online banking etc.  64 bit F12 sure
wasn't it.

The only reason I loaded F12 in the first place was to get an updated for the
man-in-the-middle exploit of openssh as supplied for F10.  You had a bit over
60 days to fix that from the exploit announcement in (I think) late Sept
2009, to the end of F10 support yesterday and when I queried fedora-list
about it a couple of weeks back was essentially told to go pound sand, it
wasn't going to be fixed.  So I pulled in the tarball and installed it with
various --prefix= configurations until I could do an "openssh version" and
get the right answer.

I think its time I ran an offshore distro, I'm sick of the crippled, blinking
graphics forced on us by the legal folks.  Yes, I understand the reasons you
can't touch even a mention of it with a 20 foot pencil, but that doesn't
magically fix the users machines that you impose those rules on.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Better to use medicines at the outset than at the last moment.