Re: Booting sparkly new F12 install, error 13 from grub.

On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 10:35 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> It wasn't just slow graphics Tim.  It was
> ssssssssssssssssslllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

I was forgetting the other common reason for that sort of thing:  Not
enough RAM, and everything is being paged.

I have seen slow graphics, thanks to bad drivers or basic VESA drivers.
Painfully slow, but your issue sounds worse.  Likewise, name resolution
can be a problem of causing things to take ages to start, but usually
they run fine once they've started.

> However that might be a clue of sorts as it had to search and find my
> router to even get a network connection & use dhcp to get an ip
> address.  I have been using static hosts based addressing on the local
> net here for a decade, and its NOT on the 192.168.1 subnet.  But I
> didn't try to kill nm forever and reconfigure the networking for
> static as it would have taken several hours at the speed it was
> running.

Can you change network hardware around?  I've recently had the woes of
diagnosing a dying network when the modem was plugged in, upsetting all
sorts of things.  Turned out it was the network switch.  It looked like
something else, as the problem went and came when the modem was removed
and reconnected.  But a swapover of different parts, in turn, proved the
problem was the switch in the middle.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686