Re: Printer frustration

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> My DVD printing experiences:
>
> http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/dvdp/dvd-success.html
>
> led me to the ImageableArea parameter in the .ppd file,
> and while I was able to eventually get a DVD to print with no
> clipping, I also found that whatever I did was a complete
> accident, because the definition of what that parameter
> is supposed to mean clearly has no relation to what it
> actually means :-).
>
> You could also take a look at this:
>
> http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/linux-tidbits.html#Printer%20Margin%20Adjustments
>
> but I don't know if the scripts referenced there will
> still work these days or not.

Thank you, Tom.

I did find and print out that align.ps in my attempt to diagnose the
issue. It would be nice if the test page was something helpful like
that. I, too, didn't know if the script would mess things up or help
so I didn't use it.

It seems absurd that the only way to do this is customize a PPD or
wait for a bug report for my printer to filter though the CUPS
development. I guess I will try my best to decipher the various
printer characterization parameters. I found a PPD compiling page that
might help so if I can stumble on that again, I will take a stab at
it.

/Mike