Re: Request for Input on Creating Linux Courses...

Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
Finally got the go ahead to create two Linux courses to our College program.
Have included Linux in my lab since Redhat 9 thru the current Fedora 12, but have just been able to show students little bits of it from time to time, since the program is geared to mostly windows and some courses using AS/400 mini system. The Ideal is to over a beginning Linux course, and an second level course as a start. In the networking class, I have one 4 hour section where the students go thru the installation of various Linux OS's, and they can use the Fedora, but many students still stay with windows.

Was wondering if people on the list might have some knowledge of material that would best meet the needs of a community college program. Last year I did work with 3 students on a Special project involving my G4L disk imaging project, and it was interesting, but very focused.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The Ideal is to have it ready for Fall 2010.

To gain student interest, on the first day give them a list of open source applications by category, and have at least one decent multiplayer game to show off, and a shooter for those liking reflexes over bring. Some media stuff, CD burner software, maybe some movies taken on campus and turned into a DVD with dvdstyler or similar.

Good to show them that the Linux will have applications and games as well as more serious stuff, they are students, they care about that stuff. Maybe video chat, particularly multiuser, there's a lot of that around. Access twitter and some IM service, that's important to them, too.

Then show them open office and make sure they know it runs on Windows and Mac as well. Convince them that they would use it if they lear it, and they will damn near teach themselves.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>