Re: How do I disable coredumps on F12?

Hi Ed,

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 01:57, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andre Costa wrote:
> Hi Rick, thks for the reply. Comments below:
>
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 23:12, Rick Stevens <ricks@xxxxxxxx
> <mailto:ricks@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     On 12/08/2009 03:44 PM, Andre Costa wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         apps crashes are generating coredumps on /var/cache/abrt/* ;
>         since I
>         won't debug them myself and won't send them anywhere because
>         they're too
>         big, I would like to turn them off. I tried uncommenting
>
>         #*               soft    core            0
>
>         on /etc/security/limits.conf but it did not work, coredumps
>         were still
>         being generated.
>

>     I believe you need to reboot for that to take effect.
>

> I did that, to no avail :-(
>

>         Then I tried to set
>
>         MaxCrashReportsSize = 0
>
>         directly on /etc/abrt/abrt.conf, restarted abrtd but it didn't
>         work
>         either (oddly enough abrt-gui doesn't allow changing this
>         setting, "ok"
>         button is disabled -- not even if I run it as root).
>
>         So, as a last resource I created a script on /etc/cron.daily
>         to get rid
>         of the coredumps, but I'd rather not create them in the first
>         place.
>
>         Anyone could give a hand?
>

>     Well, you should also, as root:
>
>            echo 'fs.suid_dumpable = 0' >> /etc/sysctl.conf
>            sysctl -p
>
>     That prevents suid programs from creating core files.  You should
>     also make sure that there is a line to the effect:
>
>            ulimit -S -c 0 >/dev/null 2>&1
>
>     is in /etc/profile so that all users have a core file dump limit size
>     of 0 bytes.
>

> Cool, nice tips, will implement them and see if they finally free me
> from these damned coredumps =/ (IMHO there should be an easier way of
> doing that, considering this is a "new" feature shipped with F12)

Have you tried simply turning off the abrtd service?

That's definitely an option, and it already crossed my mind, but the thing is that I'd really like to contribute with bug reports. My problem is not abrt per se, I actually like the idea, but I just can't understand why it is not easy to turn off coredumps generation since they're useless -- the smallest one I've got was 15M, which AFAIK would never be accepted as a bugzilla attachment (and it can get worse: Firefox keeps generating 350-450M coredumps when it crashes...).

So, ideally I would keep abrt around, and just turn off coredumps generation. But, if worse comes to worst, I will end up disabling it completely -- which I think will be a step back, but...

Regards,

Andre