Re: Latest Kernel causes reboot hell

Chris writes:

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 18:06:12 -0500
Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Some time ago, in F9-F10 era, there was a consecutive series of about
four kernels that were released that could not boot on one of my
machines. Somehow, I managed to survive this traumatic experience
without installing a completely different distribution. I waved a
magic wand, and continued to boot the last working kernel, until a
new one came out that worked on my hardware once more.

I agree - quoting from Louis Lagendijk;

"The best way to avoid the problem might be to get grub to display the
list of installed (assuming that the original F12 kernel worked for you)
and select that kernel to boot from. Change the default line
in /etc/grub.conf to automate that....."

It just occured to me that there may be a large number of people who are completely unaware of the fact that they can easily boot a previous kernel.

Some time ago, someone decided to set up grub by default to hide its boot menu, so that it boots without delay. As such, some people may not even know about this option.

This is a perfect example of why hiding some complexity from the end user is not always a good idea.