Re: Getting rid of /boot

On 12/04/2009 04:56 PM, Marc Wilson wrote:
On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Eric Brunson<brunson@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
According to it's website documentation grub has supported LVM for the past
few minor releases.  Is there any initiative to move /boot in LVM?
Can't imagine there's any reason for it, when all you have to do is
structure the system reasonably in the first place.  All the failed
upgrade scenarios (why do people bother with preupgrade in the first
place?) seem to involve people thinking they know better than the
automated partitioning tools.

Why add the complexity?

Actually, my installations all took the default 200MB /boot partition. I use preupgrade because, in general, it's awesome. Why don't you ask the developers why they bothered writing it.

If the size of /boot wasn't an issue, I would have had no problems at all with preupgrade. As far as I'm concerned, it removes complexity. What was most interesting to me during the investigation to a workaround was just how simple preupgrade is.