To hyper-thread or not to hyper-thread

I acquired another computer recently that has a Pentium(R) 4  D CPU Dual
core that is capable of hyper-threading.

I was not satisfied with its performance so I looked carefully at its
configuration and found that hyper-threading was disabled. A little more
looking and I noticed that hyper-threading was disabled in the BIOS and
could not be turned on. So what are my options if I want to enable
hyper-threading and is it worth it?

One option I assume is to find another BIOS. Are there other options or
if it is disabled in the BIOS it is disabled?

Another question is how much boost in performance should I expect from
the dual core SMB functionality of the CPU?