Re: can Fedora's QEMU run ppc guest in F12 x86_64 host?

Andre Robatino wrote:
I've tried to create a F12 ppc guest in a F12 x86_64 host, using F12's
Virtual Machine Manager and with qemu-system-ppc installed.  It's
reading a verified copy of Fedora-12-ppc-DVD.iso from the HDD.  It fails
with

CDROM boot failure code : 0004
Boot failed: could not read the boot disk

FATAL: No bootable device.

(Screenshot attached.)  At least this is an improvement over F11 which
would generate a kernel failure instead.  Is this supposed to work?  The
page

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KVM_and_QEMU_merge

claims that it is.

Were I you, I would take all the virtual "dumb it down" stuff out of the picture, create a 6GB or so qcow2 device with qemu-img, then run the ppc from the command line:
  qemu-system-ppc64 -, 1200 -hda mydisk.img -cdrom install.iso -boot d -net nic
look at the man page, those may not be exactly what you need for your system.

I have found that this works when more convenient tools don't, due either to limitations in the tool or in the doc, or in my understanding.

If this works it will point to the need to understand the convient tool better.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>